Law Office of Steven A. Sigmond
345 N. Canal #1208 Chicago, IL 60606 US
Phone: (312) 258-8188 Website:
Steven A Sigmond Law Office BBB Business Review

Free Consultation online

Visit Our Sister Sites

Free information about injury & accidents cases

Find the right attorney to Win Your Case!

The Law Office of Steven A. Sigmond

Personal Injury *Workers Comp

Social Security * Civil Litigation

Fair Compensation for your injuries

Free Consultation by phone:

+1 (312) 258-8188

How can I get treatment needed? They will not allow me to use my insurance due to workers comp case.  

Needing to see a specialist but the Sedgwick representative for my employers workers comp cases will not authorize. 

Steven’s Answer on March 4, 2016

You need an attorney.

This is not an uncommon situation. Workers comp insurance denies approval for procedures that doctors have ordered, hoping that the injured worker will simply give up and come back to work. Your attorney can press them to take a position, which will put you in line to either get the procedure approved by comp or covered by health insurance.. .

Are lawyer fees (in workers comp) regulated in Illinois?

What can I expect to pay a lawyer for a workers compensation case? If it's done by a percentage of the decided settlement, is that percentage regulated in some way? 40%, 50%, 60%...? How do we know if or when we are paying a reasonable amount?

Steven’s Answer  January 1,2016

In Illinois, attorney fees in Workers Comp is regulated, and limited to 20% of the gross award. The state publishes a fee contract, and every attorney in the state doing workers comp uses the same contract and charges the same fee. When filing a new case, the attorney must also file the fee contract. Therefore, the injured worker does not need to worry about what he's going to pay when choosing a lawyer. The injured worker can simply pick the attorney that he or she feels most comfortable with.

Does workers comp have to pay me a settlement now that I had to have surgery?

Steven’s Answer December 29 at 3:16pm

​YES, assuming that your case is compensable, and it would appear that it is, you are entitled to a settlement or award for the permanent partial disability.

There are three main areas of benefits that you are entitled to: Payment of medical bills, payment of TTD at the rate of 2/3 your average weekly wage, and a permanency settlement. I'm not surprised that nobody has discussed the third element with you. It is not uncommon for insurance carriers to pay the first two routinely and never mention the third.

Now ask yourself this: If they never bothered to mention it, are they going to automatically pay you a fair amount as soon as you ask? I wouldn't go so far as to say they HAVE TO. I'd say that you are entitled to a significant sum, and you need an attorney to make sure that you get what you deserve.

answers to questions:      WORKERS COMP

Questions about... 



     Personal Injury Cases


     Workers Comp Cases


In addition to offering free consultations to those potential clients who contact me through this website or by telephone, I've answered many questions on Avvo.

For 2016, I've once again been awarded a Top Contributor Badge, and retained my  10.0 Avvo Rating.

Some recent questions and answers are posted here.  These aren't  made up "FAQ's"," these are my answers to real-life questions that people posted  on Avvo.

If there's a question you'd like answered,

you don't need to post in online.  

Use the quick consult form on this page, or  call me at (312) 258-8188